Eating for Better Health & Optimal Weight
Look at the pictures below comparing less healthy with healthy food choices in five common situations. Can you identify three specific principles of healthier eating from the pictures?
3. Between Meals Snack
5. Movie or Ballgame Snacks
What specific principles or patterns do you observe with the healthy examples?
1) ___________________________________________________ ?
2) ___________________________________________________ ?
1) Water! Simply choosing water with meals instead of soda, juice, or other drinks, can reduce your daily calorie intake by hundreds of calories.
2) Natural! The healthy food choices are not processed or fried. Instead they are fresh and natural. They contain little or no refined sugar or white flour. For a fraction of the calories of sugary, floury, highly-processed foods, you can eat a lot more of these types of foods, feel full longer, and get far more health-promoting nutrients in the process!
3) Balance! OK, extra credit if you picked up on this one! Try to formulate your meals and snacks to include a balance of wholesome carbohydrates, lean proteins, and healthy fats. I describe what this means, why it’s important, and how to do it next:.